Property Transfer Tax

Unless you qualify for the First Time Home Buyers Program, you will be required to pay Property Transfer Tax at the completion of your purchase. Property Transfer Tax is as follows:

  • First $200,000................1.0%
  • $200,000 - $2,000,000.........2.0%
  • $2,000,000 - $3,000,000.........3.0%
  • Over $3,000,001...............5.0% (Residential)

First Time Home Buyers Program - you will be exempt from paying transfer if:

  1. The Property will be your principal residence
  2. Located in BC
  3. Purchases up to $500,000 (non-new properties)
  4. Property purchased from developer up to $750,000

Down Payment

Depending on the lender and the property type, down payments can vary. A general rule of thumb is that for a condo/townhouse or detached house under $500,000, a minimum down payment of 5% is required. A 10% down payment is required on homes valued at $500,000 - $1 million that need mortgage insurance. Homes valued at $1 million+ require a minimum down payment of 20 per cent, and bare land purchases typically require a down payment of at least 50%.

The Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) requires any buyer to purchase mortgage insurance when the down payment is less than 20%. Insurance rates range from 3.60% - 1.80% depending on your down payment. Full insurance rates can be found at:

Other Costs

  1. House Inspection: $300-600 
  2. Lawyers Fees: $1,000-$1,200 
  3. GST if new development 
  4. Foreign ownership tax

BC Land Transfer Tax Calculator logo
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.